Monday, April 28, 2008

Karl's poem to Jack's Memory


(The additional lines are between the stars.)

You think I'm here, but I have gone
I've joined the wind up high,
I've gone to visit the country where
I hunted in the days gone by.
When you come up to hunt the deer
I'm the breeze that rumples your hair
I'll spin the leaves around your feet
so you will know I'm there.
When you sit around the camp fire hot
swapping tales and lies,
I'll guide the wind that blows the smoke
in everybody's eyes.
*
When you are lying at night
in a high hunting camp
And the sandman just won't close your eyes,
I'll strum the leaves in the tops of the trees
and hum some soft lullabys.
*
I'll ride the breeze down the brushy draw
and find the new born fawn,
I'll dry it off and stand it up and then
go rushing on.
I'll do a lot of things with the wind
that I wanted to do before..
I'll riffle water on the streams and
help the waterfalls roar.
If you're fishing up in a mountain stream
and a quick wind flips your hat
Just ask yourself, and be truthful now,
'Do you think Jack would do that?'.
When you're hunting over in Klickitat
I'll drift with the wind through the oaks.
You notice the limbs are bent over double--
they are laughing at my jokes!
I'll go with the hot dry desert wind
I'll bask in the sun and get brown,
I won't need a drink and I won't need
a rest and I'll never lie down.
When you're driving along in your camper rig
and you hear the rush of the wind,
Put on a smile and have a good time
I'll be having one with you my friend.

No comments: