Saturday, April 26, 2008

Lisa Anne

I was there when you were born,
I got to see you when you first took form
And just to show you that I really did care...
If I'd had my way you would have had more hair.
One look at those wonderful eyes I could tell,
You would be a live-wire and a beauty as well.

I was there when you took your first bicycle ride.
It was a treat for me to be by your side.
Remember over in Colfax at the big county fair,
Your G'ma and mother left you in my care.
You rode all the rides with a zeal unsurpassed.
Just watching you, I had quite a blast.

I was there when you took your car driving test
You were pretty nervous, but you gave it your best.
'Your proof of insurance I have to see.'
The license man said and you looked at me.
I couldn't find it now what do we do.
We called your mom and she fixed it for you.

You went to college and marched with the band,
You and your trombone..you really looked grand.
You always stood out in any crowd,
You have made your parents feel so proud.

Now you are living a long ways away,
But our thoughts are with you
Where ever you stay.
We just want you to be happy, fulfilled and content,
Plenty to eat and money for rent.

No matter how far or how long we're apart,
You'll always have your own room in your
Grandfather's heart.

Written by Karl W. Jansen
February 17, 2005

(Your G'ma typed this out and you will always have your own room in my heart, too. Even if I don't write poetry!)

No comments: